Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Woodland Spring

"Woodland Spring" is the story of spring-blooming woodland wildflowers. I began learning about these widlflowers back in the mid 1980s as an ecology graduate student at the University of Iowa. Little by little, I learned to recognize the wildflowers, not just when they were in bloom, but at various stages in their growth. I became familiar with the types of habitats in which each wildflower tended to grow. I began to take pictures of the wildflowers, including closeups and portraits, and landsacapes. I wanted to SHOW the flowers to other people so they could see what I had learned. Eventually I began to lead weekly nature walks during the spring, and met lots of people who appreciated the wildflowers as much as I did, and were eager to learn more. This eventually led to the idea of "Woodland Spring," the story of wildflowers in a woodland during spring.
The pictures that I will include come from forests in various locations, including eastern Iowa, upper and lower peninsula Michigan, central New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania, and western Virginia. Each year, the list of locations expands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home