Friday, March 17, 2006

Skunk Cabbage


March 15, 2006. This is Skunk Cabbage, or Symplocarpus foetidus, one of the very first wildflowers to bloom each spring. Often, this flower is found blooming under a layer of snow. The plant actually generates heat (byproduct of metabolism) that melts the snow around it.
Thanks to a friend who invited me to her land, I was able to photograph a patch of skunk cabbages in Giles County, VA. The patch was growing along a stream in an area covered with small trees and multiflora rose (OUCH!). Growing among the cabbages, I found small green sprouts of bedstraw (Galium), as shown in the photo above.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an education. I have heard "Skunk Cabbage" all my life and didn't know what it looked like -- thanks to you, now I do. And what an interesting plant. Gald you found it; Glad you shared it.
Hugs, June

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home