Monday, February 22, 2010

Spring is on its Way!


This photograph offers a flashback to a sunny winter day around 1992 when I was living in my "new" farm house in eastern Iowa; the house itself was 70 years old, but in surprisingly wonderful condition. I ended up staying there for just a few years, then marrying Ed Wolfe and moving away, and traveling around (NJ, FL, TX, MI, VA) for the next 13 years. But this past summer, we have returned--not to the same house, but the same basic location. This is where I lived when I first came up with the idea of "Woodland Spring," and would lead nature walks for local folks and help them learn about the wildflowers.
With my return to Iowa, I also return to this website with a renewed level of interest and committment. I will be heading back to some of the same forests where I first learned about these wildflowers in the mid-late 1980s. I will report on what's going on, what's blooming, and things like that.
The first plant will likely be skunk cabbage, or possibly snow trillium! I have seen skunk cabbage elsewhere (including Princeton, NJ, various locations in Michigan, and SW Virginia) but it has been 14 full years since I have seen snow trillium, and I can hardly wait!
So stay tuned... It's the end of February and I am gearing up for spring.

3 Comments:

Blogger Euphoria said...

This is the kind of place I want to live in.
I grew up in San Martín de los Andes, a small town right next to the Andes Mountains in Patagonia. I miss the snow!
This picture reminds me of that movie... I can´t remember the name. Cameron Díaz moves to an english cottage in winter to enjoy her holidays and falls in love with the character played by Jude Law.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I have some memory of the movie yuo describe. This is a wonderful place and just a few miles from my current location. I used to jokingly call it my EMPIRE because to me, it's all I ever needed and wanted--the house, the "farm-like" lifestyle, and (of course) my cat!!
If you ever want to see some of my other photos, feel free to check out my other website which is easily found by searching "Carol Wolfe Photography." The website is located at http://www.carolwolfe.org/
I have a sub-page about cats and a whole bunch of stuff about wildflowers. It's a work in progress, however, since I have taken nearly the entire past year off. I just cannot do "everything," so I do what I can and try to accept that what I do is enough!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Euphoria said...

I will visit your site. I take pictures of wild flowers too. I love to paint them with watercolors. You can visit my site: www.kiramamontova.com.ar and see my blogs. I paint a lot of cats, as well!
I agree with you, this place is an EMPIRE.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home