Monday, September 19, 2005

Mountain Laurel in the Woods along the Blue Ridge Parkway


Mountain Laurel, June 7, 2005
Here in Virginia, I have found one woodland "wildflower" that I had not seen much before in Michigan, New Jersey, or Iowa. Mountain Laurel does grow in New Jersey, and I have seen it there in the Pine Barrens, including my parents' backyard. But THIS mountain laurel shrub, found in the woody picnic area near mile 170 of the Blue Ridge Parkway was huge and impressive. I was able to fill the frame with a variety of blossoms, something I had never done before. Many mountain laurel shrubs grow in the somehwat shady wooded areas, especially along the edge of the forest (or clearings) where they get a little light from the sun.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea Carol we had one of these in our yard also in Browns Mills.

Mike

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home