Friday, March 31, 2006

Bloodroot Root


Under normal circumstances, I would NEVER try to photograph the root of a wildflower because I would not dig it up. However, if you read my story from yesterday (see Bloodroot Leaf) you will understand that I saved these plants from bulldozers and a ten foot layer of compressed fill dirt. Having these special plants in hand, as I did quite literally, I decided to get a quick photograph of the roots before putting them back where they belong--a few inches under the ground.
The thing I like best about this image is that it SHOWS how bloodroot got its name. The root is a reddish orange color, kind of like blood. The sap that runs through the stem and leaves is also a reddish orange color. Thus, if the plant gets damaged, it appears to bleed. I have read that the native Americans used the sap of this plant as ink for dying fabrics and for use as warpaint. And, of course, when they did sacrifice plants for this purpose, they did so with appreciation and respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home