Friday, October 06, 2006

Trillium in April


This is Large-Flowered Trillium, and it's one of my favorite photographs ever, which is why it may look familiar (I posted it last year). I am currently preparing to build my own website and part of this process involves revisiting favorite photographs and getting them ready to post (full sizes and thumbnails). The site, which I hope will be up and running in a few weeks, is called woodlandspring.net
I made this photo of large-flowered trillium during a slightly windy, partly cloudy morning on April 19, 2005 under a sparse forest canopy in southern Virginia. I used my Nikon D70 and my favorite lens (a Nikon 200 mm micro). I set up my tripod about twenty feet from this flower and waited for the wind to slow down so I could get a long exposure at f22. Clouds diffused the sunlight, which provided a nice soft light for this shot. I got one shot that was backlit, but I think this one is overall a better shot--and this was the first one of a set!
The following photograph shows the stage of the forest the day I got this wonderful shot of Trillium. As you can see, the leaves were just starting to fill in on the trees, producing some speckled shade on the forest floor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home