Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pink Lady Slipper

I found this pink lady slipper a few days ago while attending a women's retreat on a mountain in North Carolina, not far from Highlands. It was nearly 10 AM and a very bright sunny day. I used a diffuser (above the frame toward the top left) to soften the sunlight and prevent that speckled appearance that occurs when sunlight filters through the branches of trees, casting dark shadows. I also used a silver/gold reflector, which I leaned against my tripod leg, to reflect some sunlight on the darker left side of the flower. I was surprised at the significant bit of brightening that occured when using the reflector.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,
Nice image. Isn't it fun to have the outdoors as an studio, and to get into the "zone", creatively, with reflectors and diffusers? I like how you caught the Lady Slipper's Details, and make them pop with the darker background.

All the best
John

9:45 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Thanks for your comment. I am glad I finally got around to posting shots again, having been TOO busy this spring, but not complaining...
Yes, that slipper was a tough shot. I had to basically act like an octopus to hold everything at the same time. Some folks were watching me, but I did not ask for help. I like to do the work on my own. Not sure way. I am not entirely asocial, but I do like that feeling of getting a shot on my own, and typically there is nobody else around so I guess I kind of get used to it.
Thanks again for your comment. I appreciate your kind words.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

oops, I meant "not sure why," not "not sure way."

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work is wonderful! What a wonderful body of work. I have bookmarked your website. I am struck by this lady slipper - that actually looks like a worn out wizened lonely old lady begging on the street...a former Cinderella...blond hair flying in the wind, ball gown from yesteryear wrapped around her to keep warm...abandoned, betrayed by her prince charming...who didn't turn out to be so charming or faithful or true (there is One Prince who is faithful and true - Revelation 19:11)
Best regards, Georgia in FL

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home