Friday, September 30, 2005

Woodland Phlox Sprout


Woodland Phlox, April 11, 2005
This was a somewhat cloudy day, and I like the way the diffused sunlight highlights the texture of the fuzzy leaves. This phlox plant has about 2 weeks to go until its pale purple 5-petaled flowers begin to bloom.
One of the things I love most about spring is getting to know the wildflowers in every stage, not just when they bloom. Each year, I love to find unknown sprouts and then return to the same location day after day and week after week, to keep track of each plant's development. It is so exciting for me to watch as each "unknown sprout" is transformed into a familiar plant.
Over a period of several spring seasons, I have gotten rather good at identifying the common wildflowers (and also ferns) even when just a 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the plant has broken through the dirt of the forest floor. I guess everyone has to find something in life to excite them, right? And at least my love of wildflowers gets me out in the woods and helps keep me healthy.
Knowing wildflowers is also a great way to meet interesting people people because I am able to lead nature walks and give slide presentations--to share with others what I have learned. Speaking of learning, I would like to share my enormous appreciation for Dr. Henry F. Howe (professor at University of Illinois) who was my graduate advisor back at the University of Iowa in the late 1980s. Without Hank's guidance and encouragement, I might have never found these wonderful woodland wildflowers that I love so much. THANKS Hank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home