Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Larger Image Files

One of my photography friends told me that he enjoys looking at my photos on my website, but that he is disappointed that the images are so small. I agree with what Ron said, that it would be nice to be able to click on the image and see the image enlarged. Well, I figured out how to do it, which means they will download a little slower if someone has a slow internet connection. But once the images arrive to your computer, you can single-click them to get a better (full screen) view. You can try this out on the ant lion picture below, which I just re-uploaded earlier today.
However, I would like to point out that the larger images are still relatively small, and they do show some distortion and poor resolution. For example, my original ant lion picture (which is a scanned slide) started off at 2.5 megabytes, but the image on the website is only about 220 kilobytes. This means that only about 10% of the original information remains, and some of the clarity is lost.
I make this point primarily for people who might look at the image on their screen and wonder why the heck I am talking about such great razor-sharp clarity of my Nikon lens. Well, if you actually saw the original image file (or, better yet, the original slide) you would see what I mean.
Having said that, there still may be times when I post an image that isn't as clear and crisp as I would like, but there will be some reason for it. For example, that tiny pink spring beauty sprout that I posted October 2 is not as clear as I would like, but it serves a purpose nevertheless. It was a hand held shot of something VERY SMALL, and I love that photo for what it shows of the early plant even if I could never turn the image into a poster for my wall!
On that note, I should return to my hard drive and start preparing more images to post. I have SOOOOOOOO many digital images and slides that I could work nonstop for a year just sorting through them and deciding which ones I like best! Since I don't have the luxury of unlimited time, I will just do the best I can. I will continue working with this year's digital images, but then I really do want to start going through some of my more recent (2002-2004) slides!
Thanks again for all the feedback and advice that people have been sending my way. It is helping me make a better website... Special thanks to Canadian Dude, Ron M, and David J. (Each one of you knows how you have helped inspire me and/or improve the quality of the site!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home