Monday, October 03, 2005

Horsetail in Northern Michigan


Horsetail, May 14, 2003
I found this horsetail growing beside a wide trail in a forest in the upper peninsula (UP) of Michigan, just a few miles south of the Lake Superior shoreline. This tip of the horsetail is about the size of the top 2 inches (5 cm) of my pinky.
I walked around the plant and into a gully, then set up my Nikon N-80 with 200 mm micro lens pointing toward the horsetail, and lined up the film plane parallel to the horsetail's stem. Since nothing was growing in the trail behind the horsetail, I was able to avoid having distracting objects in the background of the frame. Using a small aperture (f 22) I focused on on the tiny horsetail, while throwing the entire background out of focus into a uniform shade green.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home