Sunday, June 11, 2006

Washington Monument in Washington DC


Here is an interesting perspective of the Washington Monument, which I captured on June 9th during my recent trip to Washington, DC. I know it has nothing much to do with Woodland Spring, but I decided to include it anyway. To get this photograph, I sat on the ground about 100 yards (100 meters) from the structure, and tilted the camera UP.
I like the way this image shows some of the history that went into the building of this monument. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1848. Ten years later, they were nearly 1/3 of the way into the structure when they ran out of funding. The monument stood unfinished for 18 years until President Grant approved funding for the project to continue. The work resumed in 1878 and they finally finished in December of 1884.
A faint horizontal line marks the location where construction had been haulted. The lower third of the monument is somwehat lighter in color than the upper 2/3. Though they got the marble from the same location during the second phase of construction, but the new marble was darker and more red than what they had excavated before.
I am glad that the clouds came along while I was walking from the Metro stop toward the monument. Without the clouds to add texture, the sky would have been a little bit boring as a solid blue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home