Friday, October 06, 2006

Bishop's Cap in April


This is called Bishop's Cap or Mitterwort. It grows well in the wet low-lying area of forests, often near streams. The flower is somewhat smaller than the head of a traditional thumb tack. I used my micro 200 mm lens with a 1.7 tamron teleconverter to get as much magnification as I could. I cropped of the sides of the frame, but the height of the image is full frame(using my Nikon D-70). It is almost impossible to photograph this plant because even the tiniest bit of wind will cause the stemr to wiggle and the image to blur. However, on this day, the air was rather calm. Also, this plant was growing between two large rocks in an area protected by the wind. It was somewhat dark between the rocks, so I needed a long exposure. I used f-22. Below is a wider view showing a group of Bishop's Caps. As you can see, this small flower is difficult to photograph well as a "scenic" shot. The flowers are small and the bacground is extremely distracting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home