Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Snow Trillium Bud

Here is a snow trillium bud, which I found yesterday in eastern Iowa. It's one of several trillium species that I have photographed over the years. Snow trillium can be found in other locations, but this is the only place where I have ever found it. During trips to the Smokies, I have photographed several other species. Snow trillium is the smallest trillium that I know of, reaching a height of about only 4 inches. It is also the first to bloom each spring and is often seen sprouting in the snow, hence the name Snow Trillium.

2 Comments:

Blogger Euphoria said...

You always surprise me with your pictures. I didn´t know this flower existed!!! I guess our environments are very different, and that´s interesting! Don´t you think?

7:48 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I have have heard of snow trillium being found in a variety of midwestern locations--including eastern Iowa and east of that. I am not sure how far north or south it goes. But yes, it's a neat little plant. I will visit it again today! THANKS.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home