Friday, October 07, 2005

Mountain Laurel (saved at 72 ppi)


Mountain Laurel, June 7, 2005
I have posted this image before, but under different size and resolution settings. I have spent much of this week reading about digital imaging and posting images to websites. Mike and Ron have helped me a lot as I have tried to figure this out. THANKS to both.
Anyway, I went back into photoshop with the original Nikon raw-format (NEF) image, which I had safely stored on my hard drive. (No matter what type of editing I might to do my images, I ALWAYS keep the unedited originals in folders, which are stored by date and location.) So anyway, I went back to that file, made a few adjustments for color and contrast, and then saved the image with a resolution of 72 pixels per inch (ppi). This immediately shrank the file size, but still gave a good, clear image on my computer screen.
I took that file with 72 ppi and loaded it up on this website. (The website software automatically turned into a file with 96 dpi for some reason and resuced its size a little bit more.) When I clicked on the mountain laurel image, the image got BIGGER and still retained pretty good clarity! So, try clicking on this mountain laurel picture (above) and then go find the one listed in September 2005 archives and do the same. I think you will be amazed at what a difference it makes to take the SAME image, but to to save it using different settings. For what it's worth, however, if a person tries to print a photograph with a resolution of 72 ppi, chances are it will look pretty distorted. For printing, the file needs to have much higher resolution... though I don't know exact numbers yet.
This type of techno-talk is rather new to me, and I certainly did not plan to incorporate it into my WOODLAND SPRING website. But now that I am shooting digital images, I suppose this will become part of the process of photography. File size and resolution (ppi) are just two new aspects of "photography" that I have only started thinking about this year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home