Thursday, November 17, 2005

Something Similar to Solomon's Seal


Could this be "Twisted Stalk"?, May 3, 2005
It was getting windy by the time I found this flower, so I had to open up the apperature to speed up the shutter. As a result, I had less depth of field than I would have liked, and therefore it was more difficult to get the image into focus. And the constant wind didn't help!
One reason I decided to include this photo here is that I wanted to show another type of "Solomon-Seal-like" plant. There are a whole bunch of spring-blooming wildflowers whose leaves and stems resemble Solomon's Seal, but the flower shape and/or arrangement differ. I think this plant is called "twisted stalk," but I will need to check it again this coming spring. Having moved to the southeast from Michigan just a year ago, I was bound to run across flowers that were unfamilar to me, and this plant was one.
Another reason I included this photo is because I wanted to experiment with presenting images that are just PART of an entire frame. As a biologist, I sometimes want to present one small aspect of a plant that makes up only a small portion of the frame. As a photographer, however, I don't want to present an entire frame that is ugly just for the sake of showing one small part.
Most of the time, when I capture an image, I think about the entire frame. I plan ahead using the tripod and make sure that the frame includes everything I want to include and nothing else. Of the images posted on the website, most of them are full frame shots. This close-up image of the flower, however, is merely excerpt from a frame that is otherwise rather plain. So now that I am using photoshop, I decided to try and figure out a creative way to display just the part of the image that I like while completely discarding all the rest. So I decided to try a "spotlight" approach this time around. If I were printing on paper, I would surround my image with WHITE, but here on the website, I decided to use black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home