Friday, May 05, 2006

May Apple


I found this plant flowering on April 25, 2006. I had to get flat on the ground to frame this shot. It is difficult to get a good shot showing both the flower and the general shape of the plant, but I always feel the need to try.
Some May Apple plants have a singe stalk and one deeply dissected "umbrella" shaped leaf on top. Others have a single stalk that divides, forming a Y, and two leaves, one at the top of each portion of the Y. In the latter case, the plant typically also has a flower. The single, pale flower, larger than a half dollar, attaches at the intersection of the Y. For those folks who don't mind crawling on the ground, the flower has a surprisingly sweet smell. In the right type of light, the surface of the flower appears waxy, with a small bit of shine.
Though I enjoy photographing the entire plant, I prefer to do closeups. See above.

Since May Apple is such a difficult plant to photograph on its own, sometimes I include a person along with the plant(s) to add a little variety and give a better perspective of how the plant looks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home